As a Christian school, we want serving Christ to be a way of life for us at Mt. Salus Christian School. I am so proud of our entire school. In the last two weeks our students have been involved in serving in several amazing ways:
- In collaboration with Christ Covenant, First Presbyterian Day School (FPDS), Hartfield Academy, and Mt. Salus over 200 Flood Buckets, 300 hygiene kits, and general items such as water, diapers, cleaning supplies, hygiene items, tools, etc were collected to help those impacted by Hurricane Harvey (and now Irma). The flood buckets and hygiene kits will be used by the MNA (Mission North America) and general items were given to the Jones County Baptist Association to be distributed to groups assisting in hurricane relief.
- On Friday, September 8th during chapel times, our entire school helped in making hygiene kits. The elementary (K3-5th) during their chapel time helped organize all the donated items into appropriate groupings. Then during the high school chapel (6th-12th), the students assembled the hygiene kits for use by the MNA. We assembled 83 hygiene kits and another 170 that are partially complete (they lack Hand towels and fingernail clippers—which we hope to finish this week). This means our school with the help of Providence Presbyterian Church will make nearly 250 hygiene kits. This is such a great way to serve Christ by serving those in need! Thank you parents and students for making this happen (go to our FB page to see more pictures of students serving).
- In addition to assembling hygiene kits, on Friday we had two groups of young men from the Junior and Senior Class help serve. One group went to the Center for Pregnancy Choices (CPC) in Jackson with Coach Mitchell and helped move furniture and boxes that needed to be rearranged for about 3 hours. The other group helped Active Impact International collect 112 flood buckets and 160 hygiene kits from Mt. Salus, First Presbyterian Day School, Christ Covenant, and Hartfield Academy and deliver them to Lakeland Presbyterian Church (an MNA site). We are thankful to these young men for giving of their time and helping.
- We are thankful to Noah and one of his friends for taking the time to pressure wash the Mt. Salus school bus on Saturday. It looks amazing!
- We are thankful to students who are stepping up to the plate and serving at our school: breaking down tables and chairs and helping us keep our facilities clean.
- On behalf of Mt. Salus Christian School, I would like to express our appreciation and gratefulness to Christ Covenant, First Presbyterian Day School, and Hartfield Academy for collaborating with us as Christian schools to reach out to those in need from Hurricane Harvey. Thank you so much!
Service is going to be an ongoing event here at Mt. Salus. I am grateful to be part of this school and see teachers, staff, students, and parents working together. My prayer is that we will continue to serve Christ and be used by Him for His work.
Head of School